• Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) System is a machine that acts as a life supporting device for people who suffer from severe and life-threatening illness that stops their heart or lungs from working properly. ECMO systems are used in severe life-threatening conditions such as severe lung damage from infection, or shock after a massive heart attack.
• The extracorporeal membrane oxygenation system market growth is driven by several factors such as rising number of congenital heart defects, respiratory disorders such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, lung disease or pulmonary hypertension. For instance, according to American Heart Association, approx. 40,000 babies are born with a congenital heart defect in United States each year and around 2 to 3 million individuals are living with a congenital heart defect. According to World Health Organization, over 3 million people die each year from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which holds for over 6% of the total global deaths. Hence, with rising prevalence of severe respiratory and heart diseases in children and adults, the demand for ECMO system is increasing, which in turn fuels the growth of the market during the forecast period (2019-2026).
• In addition, growing government initiatives and increasing various investments in research and development to develop technological advanced devices is further boosting the growth of the ECMO system market globally.
• However, the growth of extracorporeal oxygenation system market is restrained by the complications associated with the ECMO system such as internal bleeding, blood clotting or technical failure.
• On the basis of modality, the ECMO system market is dominated by the venovenous (VV) segment in 2018 and is expected to account for the largest market over the forecast period (2019-2026). The venovenous (VV) segment is growing due to rising incidence of respiratory failure, rising lung transplants, and technological advancements. However, veno-venous ECMO is a complex technique and poses substantial risks, but it provides complete respiratory support for the patients increasing the survival rate.
• Increasing demand of veno-arterial (VA) ECMO in patients with several aetiology of cardiogenic shock is driving the growth of the venoarterial ECMO segment. The technological advancement in mechanical circulation has resulted in quality and survival of increasing number of patients suffering from advanced heart failure and other cardiopulmonary disorders.
• On the basis of application, the market is segmented into cardiac, Extracorporeal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (ECPR), and respiratory. Among these, the respiratory segment holds the largest market share in 2018, due to growing application of ECMOs as artificial lungs, thus playing a crucial role in supporting pulmonary function. According to the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization, approximately 45,035 patients suffer from respiratory illnesses and require extracorporeal membrane oxygenation therapy in 2016.
• Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation, also known as rescue therapy is used to treat patients suffering from in-hospital and out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. According to the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization, around 6,421 people globally required ECPR in 2016. ECMO is recommended as a treatment option for neonates who are unresponsive towards high frequency ventilation.
• The North America is dominating the global extracorporeal membrane oxygenation system market with highest market size in 2018 and estimated to hold the largest market share over the forecast period (2019-2026). The U.S. dominated the North America ECMO market in 2018, due to rising number of people suffering from cardiac and respiratory disorders, and advancement of technology in the ECMO machines. According to American Lung Association, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a leading cause of death in the Unites States, with more than 12 million people diagnosed with COPD in 2017.
• The Asia-Pacific ECMO system market is also growing with the highest CAGR during the forecast period (2019-2026). In this region, China holds the largest market share in 2018 due to increasing prevalence of cardiovascular failure and growing awareness towards ECMO system application. For instance, in China, about 100 million people suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which is leading to increasing in demand for ECMO systems in this country.
• Some of the major players of the global ECMO system market include Medtronic, Terumo Cardiovascular Techniques, Nipro Medical, Microport Scientific Corporation, Getinge Group, Maquet Holding, Medos Medizintechnik, Sorin Group, Origen Biomedical, Inc., and Alung Technologies, Inc.
• The key players are adopting various strategies such new product developments, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and regional expansion to stand out as strong competitors in the market. For instance,
• In January 2019, Northwest Texas Healthcare System started offering extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) and which is the only facility in the Panhandle to offer this technology. The machine that the ECMO uses is called the Cardiohelp™ System. The Cardiohelp System is the world's smallest, portable heart-lung support system, ideal for transporting patients within and outside the hospital while on support.
DataM Intelligence was incorporated in the early weeks of 2017 as a Market Research and Consulting firm with just two people on board. Within a span of less than a year we have secured more than 100 unique customers from established organizations all over the world.
We are pleased to offer you this exciting, new, and entirely free professional resource. Visit our Free Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals resource center today to browse our selection of 600+ complimentary Biotechnology & Pharmaceuticals magazines, white papers, webinars, podcasts, and more. Get popular titles including: